Dr. Edita T. Burgos, her children and other relatives and friends will celebrate mass in front of Camp Aguinaldo today to mark the second anniversary of his saon Janas' abduction by suspected military agents from a restaurant at the Ever-Gotesco Mall in Commonwealth Ave., Quezon City.
Jonas Burgos, an advocate of organic farming, was whisked away by burly men who grabbed while he was having launch at the mall.
The missing Burgos, who yelled "aktibista land po ako" after he was manhandled and forced into a van, was the son of Jose Burgos Jr., publisher of We Forum and Malaya who was himself imprisoned during martial law.
Dr. Burgos said the assembly for the celebratory mass to be officiated by Fr. Robert Reyes will be at 9 a.m.
She express dismay over the failure of the Supreme Court (SC) to rule on the motion for review that she filed in August 2008 to reverse the decision of the Court of Appeals (CA) granting only a partial writ of amparo and denying the issuance of the writ of habeas corpus directed at military authorities.
The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) has consistently denied having Jonas Burgos in its custody in spite of the fact that the license plate used in the van during the abduction was traced to a vehicle impounded in a military camp in San Jose del Monte City in Bulacan.
Moreover, the car that tailed the van during the abduction was also found to have been issued to the office of the former chief of the Philippine Army (PA).
Last April 21, Jonas' brother JL and Jose Burgos III mounted an art exhibit at the Conspiracy Restaurant in Visayas Ave., Quezon City to dramatize their agony at not finding Jonas through legal processes.
The show featured five works by Jose Burgos III and three by JL, all of them dealing with the physical evidence of the abduction, their longing for a lost brother and their yearning for justice.
Also featured were photographs documenting their search for Jonas.
"The last two years has been like an eternity of uncertainty. We were able to proceed only because in these two years of affliction, the family has been blessed with relatives, friends and unnamed supporters especially artists and those in media who have provided all kinds of assistance. We have commended them in a special way to Him who will thank them. In my dialect "Ang Diyos ang mabalos." (God will thank them.)," Dr. Burgos said.
"Jonas was taken by armed men and a woman last April 28, 2007 at the Hapag Kainan Restaurant, Ever Gotesco Mall in Quezon City at broad daylight in the view of hundreds of mall goers. Since then we have been praying, appealing, filing cases, searching, yet nothing is known of Jonas' fate. What is certain is that the perpetrators used a car with car plate TAB 194 which at the time of abduction was in the custody of the 56th Infantry Batallion. And what is more certain is that the state actors have all participated in the cover up so that I would not find out what truly happened," she added.
"Jonas remains to be missing, two years after. We, the family and friends of Jonas have not given up. We have been constant and consistent in our efforts to locate him. We shall not forget. Though the forces of evil, now present in the very institutions that are vowed to protect the people, shroud the truth about what befell Jonas, we believe that in His time and our perfect time, the truth will be known and justice will be served," Dr. Burgos concluded.