Give donation to Consortium

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

375,000 unemployed workers given jobs, livelihood under CLEEP


Emergency employment and livelihood assistance as bridging mechanisms have given jobs and new livelihood sources to some 375,000 unemployed, displaced, and other vulnerable workers since President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo initiated the implementation of the Comprehensive Livelihood and Emergency Employment Program (CLEEP) early this year, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) today said.

Labor and Employment Secretary Marianito D. Roque said CLEEP, along with efforts of the DOLE to preserve employment and the pump priming measures of the government, has significantly contributed to the country's capability to cope with the global economic crisis.

Roque said the program is the administration's nationwide effort intended to protect the country's most vulnerable sectors from threats and consequences of reduced or lost income as a result of the global crisis.

He said the President has assigned all Cabinet members to act as stewards  tasked to ensure and oversee the implementation of identified CLEEP projects in particular regions.  He added that with the DOLE as lead agency, the government has so far allocated more than P13 billion for CLEEP investments in public works and enterprise development projects that have employed and given livelihood to the beneficiaries.

The DOLE Chief said that by providing emergency employment and funds for livelihood projects, CLEEP had helped its beneficiaries consisting mostly of low-income workers including those in industries affected by the global crisis as well as displaced overseas Filipino workers (OFWs) and out-of-school youths cope with the crisis' adverse effects.

Sec. Roque also stressed that CLEEP as a bridging employment program provides the beneficiaries not only income sources but also the skills and necessary experience they need in order to compete in the job market.

The jobs created under the CLEEP, he added, also helped improve the country's infrastructure, stimulate private investments, push the growth of rural enterprise, and boost public health care and food security.

At the same time, the DOLE exhausted all means to preserve jobs.  It issued guidelines on the implementation of flexible work arrangements and possible options that establishments particularly those affected by the global crisis may consider to avoid retrenchment and, thus, keep workers in their jobs.  It also assisted OFWs displaced by the crisis found new employment or livelihood.


Sunday, October 25, 2009

ICTSI Mindanao starts feeding program

Davao Integrated Port and Stevedoring Services Corp. (DIPSSCOR) recently started a feeding program for malnourished children in Barangay Sasa, Davao City as part of the company's corporate social responsibility efforts. 


DIPSSCOR, on the occasion of its 25th year anniversary, signed a memorandum of agreement with the Philippine Business for Social Progress (PBSP) for a 6-month feeding program for 70 Grade I pupils of Francisco Bangoy Central Elementary School in Barangay Sasa, Davao City, starting November to April of next year. 


Photo shows Julien Domingo (far left), DIPSSCOR assistant general manager and controller; Jose Manuel de Jesus (center), DIPSSCOR general manager; and Dra. Marilyn Moncada, PBSP regional manager for Mindanao, during the ceremonial turnover of a monthly P25,000- DIPSSCOR check-donation to PBSP for the 6-month period.  


DIPSSCOR is a subsidiary of International Container Terminal Services, Inc. (ICTSI), a leading port management company involved in the operations and development of 19 maritime terminals and port projects in 13 countries worldwide.  For over 20 years, ICTSI has been the private sector partner of choice for world-class trade facilitation in the economies it serves.





Abducted Irish priest is an advocate of PWDs; DOLE appeals for his release


The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) joined the nation in appealing for the safe and immediate release of 79 -year old Irish priest Fr. Michael Sinnott as his abduction dampens the cause of persons with disabilities (PWDs) especially in helping the PWDs lead meaningful lives through productive employment or livelihood.

Labor and Employment Secretary Marianito D. Roque said the DOLE agencies and personnel  particularly those based in Pagadian City where Fr. Sinnot is also based as a member of the Missionary Society of St. Columban in this city, are extremely disheartened by his abduction.

Roque said Fr. Sinnot is a staunch advocate of PWDs' welfare having established the Hangop Kabataan Foundation, Inc. in Pagadian which assists physically challenged children and young adults, especially those with hearing and learning difficulties, gain the capability to rise from their disabilities and lead productive lives through the provision of community-based rehabilitation program and employment or livelihood assistance.  

The DOLE also invests on the welfare and rehabilitation of the PWDs to build their capabilities for a productive re-entry into the economic mainstream.

Sec Roque received a report from the DOLE field office in Pagadian on the priest's active support of the TULAY or the Tulong Alalay sa mga Taong may Kapansanan, a program of DOLE that provides employment and livelihood facilitation services including skills training and upgrading to PWDs.

Fr. Sinnot, he said, had partnered with the DOLE in numerous TULAY activities in Pagadian, noting that the abduction of the priest, given his old age and delicate heart condition, poses a threat to his life and consequently the existence of Hangop Kabataan and his advocacy for the welfare of PWDs.

":Fr. Sinnot is Hangop Kabataan.  Without him, the foundation and its assistance to PWDs would be adversely weakened," Roque said.

"In behalf of the PWDs especially the wards of Hangop Kabataan, we in the DOLE appeal to the abductors of Fr. Sinnot to free and spare him from further inconveniences of captivity that can lead to a deterioration of his health, putting his life at great risk." 

Fr. Sinnott is an Irish priest of the Missionaries of St. Columban. He has been in the Philippines since the 1980s. He founded and served as coordinator of the Hangop Kabataan in 2008, a dwelling place for both Muslim and Christian children who need special attention.  Despite his old age and his problematic heart condition, Fr Sinnott is known for being energetic and consistently attentive in all of his undertakings. He was abducted by unidentified men Sunday evening while strolling at the compound of Missionary Society of St. Columban in Pagadian City.


DOLE releases P3-M relief assistance to sugar workers affected by Ondoy, Pepeng


The Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) said emergency relief assistance will be extended to sugar workers who have been affected by typhoons Ondoy and Pepeng.

 Labor and Employment Secretary Marianito D. Roque said the DOLE has allocated P3 million from the socio-economic project fund (SEPF) of  the social amelioration program (SAP) for the provision of relief assistance to affected sugar workers as provided for by DOLE Department Order No. 98, series of 2009.

Roque said the DOLE order was issued upon the recommendation of the Sugar Tripartite Council Executive Committee in line with R.A. Act. No. 6982, or the Sugar Amelioration Act of 1991.  The law provides for the implementation of SAP which is a production sharing scheme instituted in the sugar industry to augment the income of sugar workers.

He said the relief assistance as provided for by D.O. 98 intends to benefit some 10,000 typhoon affected sugar mill and field workers in Cagayan, Pampanga, Tarlac, Batangas and Camarines Sur.

The DOLE Chief also cited a report from Bureau of Rural Workers (BRW) Director Alex E. Maraan, which said that the emergency relief assistance would be released to mill, planters and sugar workers organizations in milling districts affected by the two typhoons.

He added that the concerned mill or planters associations in coordination with their planter-members and unaffiliated planters would determine the appropriate mode of assistance to the affected workers whether in cash or in kind and distribute the same directly to affected sugar workers.

To ensure that the relief assistance was received by the affected sugar workers, the concerned mills, planters   or workers organizations would submit to the BRW a progress report and a special payroll documenting receipt of the assistance by the affected sugar workers.

In view of the urgency of the situation, the fund for emergency relief assistance would be released to the participating mill or planters associations or workers organizations in full, Roque said adding that the distribution of the allocated fund would be based on the production share to the SEPF during Crop year 2007-2008.