Former Armed Forces chief Roy Cimatu will remain special envoy to the
Ochoa told a radio interview that Cimatu’s appointment was for a “limited period of time,” and the creation of the Overseas Preparedness and Response Team (OPRT) under Executive Order No. 34 replaced the Presidential Middle East Preparedness Committee (PMEPC), which the former military general headed.
“It’s a case by case assessment. In fact, that is the process when it comes to the appointment of all special envoys,” Ochoa explained. “It’s up to the President to determine later, when the appointment expires, to say whether or not he will reappoint or not appoint a special envoy,” he added.
EO 34 expanded the composition of the crisis team and the scope of its
responsibilities to allow the government to respond swiftly to the needs of overseas Filipino caught in political uncertainties and natural disasters in their host countries.
Cimatu will serve out his term until June 30 based on his reappointment by President Aquino III when the new administration took over.
Just like any other appointment, the renewal of Cimatu’s designation is subject to the assessment by the Office of the President. ###
Palace welcomes Tingting Cojuangco’s resignation from PPSC
Executive Secretary Paquito N. Ochoa Jr. on Monday welcomed the
resignation of President Benigno Aquino III’s aunt, Margarita
“Tingting” Cojuangco, from the Philippine
(PPSC), as an affirmation of support for his campaign promise not to appoint a relative to any government post.
“The President is very strict in enforcing his policy na walang
kamag-anak sa kanyang stable ng mga opisyales sa paligid niya. And I think, Madame Tingting Cojuangco realized that,” Ochoa said in a radio interview.
Contrary to earlier reports, Ochoa said Cojuangco resigned on her own initiative and was not fired from her job.
In fact, Ochoa added, Cojuangco herself recommended former Upi, Maguindanao Mayor Ruben Platon as her replacement at PPSC.
Before he ran for mayor, Platon, a lawyer, served as administrative officer and legal officer of PPSC.
Cojuangco was appointed PPSC head in 2004 by former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo. ###
OP respects Jalandoni’s decision to resign
Malacanang is respecting the decision of Deputy Ombudsman for Luzon Mark Jalandoni to quit his job although the Office of the President has yet to receive his letter of resignation, Executive Secretary Paquito N. Ochoa Jr. said on Monday.
“That’s his prerogative and we will respect his decision. We might as well accept his resignation, if indeed he has decided to resign,” Ochoa said in a radio interview.
“But I have not seen his letter of resignation. Perhaps, if that’s true, his letter might reach our office only (within this week),” he added.
According to news reports, Jalandoni forwarded his resignation letter to Malacanang via registered mail last Friday.
Jalandoni was appointed deputy ombudsman for
Before joining the Office of the Ombudsman, he was state prosecutor of the Department of Justice (DOJ) and program director of the Witness Protection, Security and Benefit Program under the DOJ, and once served as undersecretary of the Office of the Chief Presidential
Last week, three complaints, including usurpation of authority, had been filed against Jalandoni with the Office of the President. ###
April 11, 2011